Tuesday, September 7, 2010

upcoming adventure: Expedition Blue Planet

Alexandra Cousteau is coming to Raleigh as part of Expedition Blue Planet and I have the privilege of attending a Benefit fundraiser to learn more about the critical water issues across the U.S.
At first this news was a bit overwhelming and intimidating. What do I know about water? The Neuse River? Alexandra Cousteau? The legendary Jacques Costeau? Blue Legacy?
But what an amazing opportunity to learn! To discover! To find out and explore!

I began doing some googling today - and came across some interesting tidbits about Jacques Cousteau. He's been referenced in over a dozen different (fairly well-known) songs, he's been quoted in several movies, he has quite a collection of books and documentaries. A quote that really struck me: "When one man for whatever reason, has an opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself." In reading these words, the vast unknown transformed into something tangible and personal. I am inspired and curious. I have no idea where this search is going to lead me, but I'm already liking the looks of it. More to come...

No comments: